By Charlie Keaton | Tuesday, September 4, 2018
For two weekends this fall swimmers of all ages, from all over America, will descend on Colorado Springs for stroke instruction from some of the world’s best coaches and athletes -- and you could be one of them.
That’s right: Performance Camp is back! The annual immersive experience from the USA Swimming Foundation gives 25 youth and 25 adult swimmers the opportunity to train with Olympic champions in the most authentic environment imaginable: the U.S. Olympic Training Center.
Each day is chock-full of curated workouts and education, including:
- Underwater filming & individual video analysis
- Drills & stroke technique
- Personalized instruction from athletes & coaches
- Dryland training
- Nutrition for swimmers
- Presentations and panels
- Take-home materials
- USA Swimming and USA Swimming Foundation swag
This year’s Youth Performance Camp runs from August 31 to September 3. Participating athletes and coaches include Cullen Jones, Jason Lezak, David Marsh, and Mel Stewart.
The Adult Performance Camp is October 5-7 and will be led by Nathan Adrian, Elizabeth Beisel, Rowdy Gaines, and Chase Kalisz.
The above athletes alone account for 29 U.S. Olympic medals, while Marsh led Auburn University to 12 NCAA Division I titles, was a 12-time SEC Coach of the Year, and has coached four U.S. Olympic Swim Teams (including serving as Women’s Head Coach at the 2016 Games in Rio).
Here’s what a few of the 2017 participants had to say:
- "The availability and involvement of the Olympians was outstanding. They each seemed to really want to be there and participate. Working with a world-class coach was amazing."
- "Bonding with fellow swimmers, coaches, and staffers transformed this camp from a learning experience to one of my favorite life experiences."
- "There was a personal touch. Everyone was treated as if they’re equally important."
- And of course: "I really liked the ice cream machine."
Registration opens May 15 and runs until slots are filled — first come, first served. All proceeds benefit the USA Swimming Foundation in its mission to save lives and build champions – in the pool and in life.
Click here to take part in this year's Performance Camp (or to just learn more about it).